We are all Mums around here!
A truly perennial mum is one that can withstand temperatures as cold as -30°F! Just like us hearty and colorful Minnesotans! You’ll be amazed when you see hundreds of beautiful, brightly colored flowers that butterflies just love! Plant them in full sun to partial shade and then enjoy their spectacular fall beauty. They are so easy to take care of—no pinching, pruning or deadheading required!
Look for MN hardy mums and Mammoth mums in the garden center. They’re only around for a short time!
Not all mums are lucky enough to be true perennials, but both mammoth mums and Minnesota mums are hardy enough to stand in that category. These two varieties of mums are perfect for places where the weather gets a little colder than most blooming plants would like. Their hardiness and bright, bold colors make them a must for any cold-weather garden design.
Mammoth mums were designed by the University of Minnesota to handle the age-old curse that lingers over gardeners to this day: the average cold snap. When winter rolls around, even normal mums crumple under the weight of ice and cold, but not the mammoth mums. These bad boys are planted in spring rather than in early fall, giving them several extra months to establish their roots. This not only gives them the security to survive the winter and become a true perennial but helps them accrue more energy to grow and bloom, making them bigger and better than your common, garden-variety mums. When planting, keep a few things in mind:
- Plant in well-draining soil
- They’ll grow up to 3 feet tall and 4 feet wide, so space seeds or young plants accordingly (they’re called “mammoth” for a reason)
- They overwinter well all the way up to zone 3
- Don’t break off dead growth in the winter, leave that until the weather warms in spring
- Plant between early March and mid-April for best results
- Plants do well in full sun but keep away from around-the-clock artificial lights to promote better blooming
Though they’re not quite as big as their mammoth counterparts, Minnesota mums are just as reliable when it comes to shaking off the cold of the namesake state’s harsh winters. They’ve been in the works since the 1920s, and that longstanding dedication to bringing longevity to this plant definitely shows. It’s a cushion habitat mum, meaning the plant itself is dome-shaped and covered by flowers on its outer surface. They come in a huge variety of colors, ranging from pale gold to vivid autumnal red, making them the perfect addition to any garden. When planting and caring for your plant:
- Plant any time in May, after the last frost has passed
- Don’t remove dead growth in winter – wait until spring
- They overwinter well in zones four to eight but benefit hugely from leaf coverage during winter
- Plant in full sun or part shade, away from round-the-clock artificial lighting whenever possible
- Plant in well-drained soil
- Height and spread expected to reach 12 – 18 inches
If you’ve been checking out mums for sale Minneapolis, rest assured that there are no better mums to spruce up your garden than these two frost-resistant options. For additional questions or for more information contact SunnySide-Gardens Online or over the phone at 612-712-3054.