With their thick, tough outer shells, specialty pumpkins and gourds can be so much tougher to carve than a traditional jack o’lantern pumpkin. But they would look so cool glowing from within! Power tools to the rescue! (To clarify, a specialty pumpkin is a pumpkin that is unique and quite different that a traditional orange field pumpkin. Some are blue, white or red. Some are lumpy and others are long and shaped like a tube.)
- Specialty Pumpkins and gourds
- Power drill
- Different sizes of drill bits
- Pumpkin carving knife and scoop
- Votive candle or battery operated votive
- Choose your pumpkins and gourds.
- Use a power drill, a large drill bit, and a pumpkin carving knife to make a hole on the bottom big enough to scoop out the insides. Remove seeds and flesh.
- Using a smaller bit, drill holes all over the surface of the pumpkin or gourd, in a pattern or randomly.
- Wipe the exterior clean and place the gourd over the votive.